Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Day 94: Anatomy of a Sale

Have you ever wondered how long it really takes to get your product into a new store?

No?

Well, I'm going to tell you anyway. Because when I started this quest I seriously underestimated how long the process would take. I figured I'd email/call a shop, they'd get back to me within a week or two with a yes or no, and we'd go from there. A bit naive I suppose, especially since I should know better (all my current shops took plenty of time as well).

The Shoppe at Somerset was the very first store to place an order during my 100-day-quest. From start to finish--from my very first email to when the items were on the virtual shelves--took just over three months. And honestly, that's pretty quick. I have plenty of other orders that are more involved, with much more back and forth, that have been in the works for much longer.

Why am I telling you this? I suppose to say that if it doesn't happen right away; if orders and feedback don't start coming in within hours, days, weeks, or even months, or if there's a lag time between responses, that doesn't necessarily mean the whole process is dead. It just means that these things can take time.

Plus, if you really look at it, I first started contacting The Shoppe way back in October 2009. I sent an email to them almost four years to see if they'd carry my digital collage sheets (and never heard back). I'm glad I didn't give up back then because they are honestly one of my dream places for carrying piddix collage sheets.

ps.....I just signed up the "Right Brainers in Business" 2013 video summit. Playback of the talks is free for the first 48 hours. Two that especially look relevant to this quest include tonight's discussion about "How to prepare yourself for possible rejection when you put yourself out there," and Tuesday's "How to “un-shame” ourselves around money."

No comments: