Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Day 77: My Big Mistake

What my website looked like today. Like the "Logo Here" look?
Last summer I decided it was finally time to fix up my instant download site. It had sat, neglected, for far too long. One of the first things I did was upgrade my website software to the latest, prettiest, slickest version. And the site did look pretty. Oh so pretty; with sliding images on the front page and a nice clean background. But, sadly, that's about all it did. Almost immediately I started getting comments from very smart customers who couldn't figure out how to check out. As you can imagine, that was a bit of a problem. All my hard work--hundreds of hours updating, uploading, categorizing and describing all my collage sheets using the new software--was wasted because no one could figure out how to actually buy anything.

So today I finally sucked it up and "downgraded" back to my old version, then started the arduous process of re-loading everything all over again. I suppose the lesson I learned is that sometimes it's best to keep things simple. Or perhaps that in an arm wrestling match between looks and function, I should put my money on function.

No comments: