Monday, August 30, 2010

Housewife, Day #1 (cramming it all in)

It's been over a year since I embarked on my full-time crafting journey. Today feels like the first day of a whole new trek. Brian was off early to the first day of his new job, which means it was my turn to get Declan ready and pack up the car to head to Grandma & Grandpa's for the day. With Declan now off being happily spoiled, I'm back home looking at the first day of my new "job," too.

As a creative person, change often is exciting to me. Since nothing is yet set, I can imagine all kinds of amazing possibilities. I have time, a great support network, and have relinquished the burden to Brian for household financial support. At the same time, though, I'm generally and genetically disinclined to do dishes or laundry. I don't cook often, and when I do it's not good. But project management? Sure. Or house painting or organizing? Love it.

So what's next? Do I fall back into the trap of working 70 hours a week on piddix? Will I become a trapped housewife from the Feminine Mystique?

If today's to-do list is any indication, it seems I'm once again trying to fit everything in:

1. Call contractor to figure out why lead abatement on the wood floor isn't done yet (which is why our entire lives are currently crammed into the only room with carpet; see above photo)

2. Pick up new book I ordered from 1838 to scan. Lions and tigers and bears, oh my!

3. Get back to agent with designs for possible inclusion in Trader Joe's stores. Also sign and return contract for new images for Target.

4. Everything piddix (26 new designs needed for wholesale order due in 8 days). Oh, and send all the etsy orders, too.

5. Submit application for winter craft shows (because I haven't nothing better to do with all my free time, yikes).

And then of course the things I want to do in theory, but probably won't happen in actuality:

6. Work out.

7. Make dinner.

My guess is I'll fall into old habits. Work on piddix too hard (which I love). Eat out instead of cook. Keep getting dressed up to work out but never actually making it out the door. But for the moment, the excitement over "what if's" is still there. The fun feeling of New Year's resolutions and a new routine are with me today.

No comments: