Friday, February 15, 2008

Grrrrr. Angry Easter Bunnies.


With hundreds and hundreds of vintage images, I'm often amazed by the odd themes and coincidences that show up as I collect them. For example, I have probably ten Victorian postcards that show how to find your future husband by looking into the mirror on Halloween. The specifics involve, alternately, snails, apples, candles or brushing your hair to make his face appear to you.

Similarly, animals dressed in human clothing seems to have been very popular at the turn-of-the-century. My favorite new, odd group that I'm come up with involves several really grumpy, angry, and slightly crazed rabbits. Not exactly the Easter Bunny I grew up with, but they make me laugh.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think animals dressed in clothes have gained popularity in our present times now, too!

piddix said...

Yes, you're definitely right. We have our share of silly animals in clothing. But it seems like the older animals and images had a bit more more of an edge to them -- so so cutesy fluffy.